ABOUT SSL CERTIFICATES
From Adam Unto Joseph
Click for Enlarged View
of this item.
This product usually ships on the next business day.
You may need
Windows Media Player
to listen to the music samples below.
1. CD1, Track 1: As we the faithful observe
2. CD1, Track 2: Let us celebrate
3. CD1, Track 3: O Bethlehem in the land
4. CD1, Track 4: Tell us, O Joseph
5. CD1, Track 5: Dance, O Esaias
6. CD1, Track 6: Be not downcast, O Joseph
7. CD1, Track 7: Make ready, O cave
8. CD1, Track 8: Come, with faith
9. CD1, Track 9: In Bethlehem
10. CD1, Track 10: The Lord said the following - For a child is born to us
11. CD1, Track 11: Shining with the lightning-flashes
12. CD1, Track 12: Rejoice, O honourable Prophets
13. CD1, Track 13: Behold, the time of salvation
14. CD1, Track 14: When Daniel, the man of desires
15. CD1, Track 15: Terirem, kratema, And Savior of our souls
16. CD2, Track 1: The song the shepherds played
17. CD2, Track 2: A selection of foretestal canons in the eight modes
18. CD2, Track 3: On the day the Virgin cometh
19. CD2, Track 4: A hand-wrought image
20. CD2, Track 5: O Bethlehem, rejoice
21. CD2, Track 6: On December 20 - On Sunday before Christ
22. CD2, Track 7: In the town of Bethlehem, Katabasiae Mode 1-Old Byzantine Melody
23. CD2, Track 8: Make thou ready, Bethlehem, Before the Lord
24. CD2, Track 9: Forefestal praises, stichera
25. CD2, Track 10: Lo, now she hath appeared
26. CD2, Track 11: The collection of the Law
27. CD2, Track 12: Great are the achievements of faith, Be thou ready Bethlehem
28. CD2, Track 13: In the town of Bethlehem, Katabasiae Mode 1
From Adam Unto Joseph is an astonishing project: a 2-CD recording of the music of the Forefeast of the Nativity within a full color book treating the subject of Christ's Nativity and its associated chant. Given the theological emphasis on the incarnation of Jesus Christ, the Forefeast and the Feast of the Nativity are among the most significant periods of the liturgical year, ones often reduced to simply "Christmas" for all too many people. This production offers a collection of some of the most important chant selections out of an extremely rich heritage that spans a millennia of Byzantine chant composition. It is a magnificent hard cover volume in full color in Greek and English, containing Patristic writings and hymns, commentary, the entire hymn text, etc. all in Greek and English. The entire performance text with Byzantine notation is reproduced in full color. Chanted in Greek; book in Greek and English, including complete hymn text. 138 pp. Cloth bound hard cover.
If you like and appreciate the hard cover productions of Festal Byzantine chant produced by the Vatopedi Monastery on Mt. Athos, then get ready for a production which is an order of magnitude beyond them. By that I mean two things. First, the production itself is a 9 x 9 inch hard cover book in both Greek and English, which includes Patristic text, commentary by Fr. Maximos Lavriotes, hynm text, iconography & calligraphy, and reproduction of the entire score in Byzantine notation -- and the quality is superlative. Second, the hymn selection that comprises the CDs is primarily comprised of arrangements never before recorded. These include the Katabasiae (Katavasia) for the Forefeast (In the town of Bethlehem) sung in an early medieval Old Byzantine Melody and a 17th century Byzantine arrangement by Petros Bereketis. Other arrangements by Lampadarios, Georgiades and others make it an auditory tour of Byzantium 's greatest composers. Isn't that enough to make it worth purchasing? Then you have a hymn selection that spans this fundamentally overlooked festal period, chant seldom performed or heard, but theologically potent. The quality of the performance, as is always the case with the Romeiko Ensemble, is top notch. This is a production of stunning beauty -- beauty to the eye and to the ear.
Copyright © 2000-